J-1 Visa Information

You shouldn’t have to waste your time with endless paperwork. As part of your New York internship placement package, we will ensure you understand the U.S. internship visa requirements and assist you in preparing the necessary documentation.

We are a U.S. Department of State designated J-1 visa sponsor that specialize in processing visas for international interns. This relationship allows you to remain stress-free and prepare for your arrival in NYC. Your program fee not only includes an internship in the heart of Manhattan, it also includes all the necessary documentation needed for the appropriate visa.

Which Visa Do I Need?
According to the U.S. Department of State, foreign nationals who want to complete an internship at a U.S. company must apply for the J-1 Intern Visa before arriving in the United States.

The purpose of the J-1 Internship Visa is to ensure that you, as an international intern, are provided with legitimate opportunities for professional development, insight into American knowledge and skills related to your field of study.

Do I Qualify?
U.S. Department of State regulations states that an intern must be a foreign national currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate granting post-secondary academic institution outside of the United States. If you’ve already graduated from such an institution you can still apply as long as you graduated within the past 12 months. You also must agree to enter the US to participate in a structured and supervised work-based internship program related to your specific academic field for a maximum duration of 12 months.

What Documentation Do I Need?
Through our visa sponsor partners, we will assist you in receiving your J-1 Visa as easily as possible. Having the following items available will also speed up the process:
– Valid Passport
– English Resume/CV listing (with education and work experience)
– English proof of university enrollment (or recent graduation)

More information on the J-1 visa requirements and processing procedures are included in our New York City Internship Guide.

Contact us now at placements@gaccca.org to receive a free copy, or complete the request form on our j1 visa homepage.